Saturday, September 6, 2008

One month

Its been a month since I started salsa. Looking back to the time I started, I cringe at the thought of myself blindly following the guys and having no control of my movement. I have definitely improved! Today was the monthly salsa night, where finally I get to dance and spin around freely in a big space, without having to collide into anyone. Looking around the big space, thankfully there were more guys than girls, which meant that I was asked to dance quite a few times :)
I got to try dancing with different leads, some of who were so stiff, it was like dancing with a moving wall, some of who did not seem to be dancing in time that it seemed to be a different dance altogether, some of who were so boring I felt my feet were going to sleep from lack of use. The best dancers led me around really well and I managed to pull off spins I never thought I would dare to attempt. I was dipped as well! It feels like I am part of an old movie where the lady always gets dipped that the end of a dance. It was so exciting and automatically put a HUGE smile on my face, plus no one was close to dropping me. Therefore the dip is now my favourite move.
Another move that I like is called the butterfly, which basically is a few turns which end up in me being back to front with the guy and then moving left and right. This is where my arms are extended and move in a up-down pattern together with steps moving left and right. Moving my arms up and down definitely feels like I am flapping my arms. However, I am sure it looked considerably better than I felt about the flapping. Still although I met quite a few guys, I did not get to dance with a really cool guy who I really admire for dancing without the frilly hand movements and hip shaking that some of the guys tend of overuse :D Well all in time.... I will get my chance...

No comments: